What is a hot chocolate without Marshmallows? Here’s a recipe for the perfection companion to our range of Nespresso compatible Hot Chocolate pods!
What you’ll need
· 6 sachets of unflavored gelatin
· 3 cups granulated sugar
· 2 cups light corn syrup
· 1/2 tsp salt
· 2 tbsp pure vanilla extract
· 1/2 tbsp strawberry extract
· pink gel paste, commonly used to dye fondant
· powdered sugar, for dusting
1. Combine 3 packages of gelatin and 1/2 cup of cold water with an electric mixer, set aside.
2. Meanwhile, combine 1 1/2 cups of sugar, 1 cup of corn syrup, 1/4 teaspoon salt and a 1/2 cup of water in a small saucepan and cook over medium heat until the sugar dissolves.
3. Raise the heat and cook until the syrup reaches 240 degrees F, approximately 12-15 minutes. Remove from the heat.
4. Add sugar syrup to the dissolved gelatin, mix on high speed until the mixture is very thick, about 15 minutes. Add 1 tablespoon vanilla extract and mix thoroughly.
5. With a sieve, generously dust a nonmetal baking dish with powdered sugar. Pour in the marshmallow mixture into the dish and smooth with a spatula.
6. Repeat steps 1-4 to make the strawberry marshmallow. When it is time using the strawberry extract, instead of vanilla. Stop the mixer and add a small amount of pink gel paste and mix until an even shade of pink is achieved.
7. Pour the strawberry marshmallow mixture over the vanilla marshmallow and smooth the top with an offset spatula. Dust the top with powdered sugar and allow it to sit overnight on the counter uncovered.
8. Turn the marshmallows onto a board dusted with powdered sugar and cut them in squares. Dust them with more powdered sugar. Store in an airtight container until ready to eat.